<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13148410\x26blogName\x3dYou+Look+Like+I+Need+a+Drink\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6309081622733023818', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

You Look Like I Need a Drink

**Not Quite Web 2.0**

XP to Mac Skins (Gant3, Flyakite)

Thursday, December 01, 2005

First off, I am not a Mac zealot. I do own an iPod but do not have any Macs. The current laptop I am on dual boots XP and SUSE. But anyway, I was getting a little sick of looking at my boring XP theme and although I had used some skins in the past, I always found them slightly less functional, albeit pretty. Litestep is a decent free skin but using it about 2 years ago, I was never sold on using Litestep on a daily basis. Hopefully, this appliction has been improved over time. This lead me to Flyakite (watch out, the link is to a direct download)which is a Mac skin that I have been using for the last 5 or so months. Well quite happy with Flyakite, I came across Gant3Ocean ShellPack a week ago and hesitant to install it over my current Flyakite skin, I decided to install it anyway and see if it worked okay and not manage to slow down my box that much.
The Gant3 Ocean ShellPack ran just fine without boosting my CPU usage more than 10% (may vary by system). The dock installed was easy to manipulate and within 10 minutes, I was able to remove all of the icons that were unnecessary and add my own (like netstumbler and other useful utilities). With the dock set, I was able to remove a clutter of icons that used to litter my desktop. One of the other applications installed was ubericon which gave me the 'bump' effect when clicking on an icon.
So far I have been using these skins for the last week and have been content with the results. No, it's not OSX, KDE or GNOME, but it does function better than the standard out of box installation of XP, and I think it looks a hell of a lot better.

Labels:

posted by aL, 9:45 AM

4 Comments:

litestep is not a skin, it's a themeable shell replacement, with thousands of themes availible.
commented by Anonymous sryo, 7:16 PM  
i stand corrected.
commented by Anonymous aL, 4:44 PM  
Flyakite rules

whoever made it is god *worships*
commented by Anonymous Theo, 12:56 PM  
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 3:55 AM  

Add a comment