<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13148410\x26blogName\x3dYou+Look+Like+I+Need+a+Drink\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6309081622733023818', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

You Look Like I Need a Drink

**Not Quite Web 2.0**

Pervasive Alcoholism in DC?

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My work currently has me coordinating schedules for new hires in the DC Metro area. Swamped with phone calls since 5AM, I was just starting to relax around 11AM when I realized that a new hire was supposed to be in. After 20 minutes, I went back to my towering stack of paperwork and didn't think about the new hire until noon. The new hire who shall go by the name 'S' was not at home when I called, nor bothered to pick up her cell phone.
As I was getting ready to leave at 12:30, who should walk in an hour late, but our new hire S. She apologized profusely and mentioned that it was an emergency situation that caused her tardiness. Not one to gripe, I asked if her if all was okay and she looked relieved that I was not on her case about being late. S proceeded to tell me that the reason she was late was because she had to take a friend to the hospital. Intrigued, I asked her what had happened to her friend. Apparently, S's friend had overdosed on the liquor and had to have her stomach pumped. Now calculating the time, I figured that S had been in the hospital for maybe 4-5 hours as ER usually is pretty quick to respond to alcohol poisoning (trust me, I know from a friend who went through the same thing). So 4-5 hours earlier would have placed the drinking incident to about 4 or 5 AM in the morning. I won't assume that S was with this boozer drinking up a storm at 5AM but damn, is this what a company who hires thousands of people want? There are just some things you should not tell your new work on the first day of the job.

Labels:

posted by aL, 1:20 PM

1 Comments:

too funny...
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 1:38 PM  

Add a comment