<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13148410\x26blogName\x3dYou+Look+Like+I+Need+a+Drink\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://chalkline.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6309081622733023818', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

You Look Like I Need a Drink

**Not Quite Web 2.0**

Free Web Phone Service Via Linux (linphone)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

I don't have a landline. Personally, I am rarely home so I don't see the need in having an extra bill. But there are things that I could or would do if I were to ever have the need for a landline again. For instance, I could maybe get Tivo but the only shows I am addicted to right now are Scrubs and Prison Break so I really cannot justify getting a Tivo. I would also love to get asterisk set up but I still don't see the need for a landline. OK, before I digress too much from my post today, let me bring you back about 9 years ago. Phone service via the Internet was just starting out and a little company named dialpad was offering free Internet phone service. Back then, there was no VoIP but dialpad's service (free at that time), allowed anyone in the US to make calls through their web service to anywhere in the United States. Although the service was free, the phone quality was 'patchy' at best with certain delays. But not being able to argue with free, I used dialpad and as bad as it was with the delays, it still worked. The Internet has come a long way from the old days of dialpad, and even though they are still around, VoIP has largely taken over and replaced the market of web phone service.
But going back to web phone service, Linphone.org offers free phone calls to anywhere in the whole world, but running on linux. I have yet to try linphone as no landline, but this might be a good application for that 100 dollar laptop from MIT as I heard it runs on Red Hat.

Labels:

posted by aL, 1:07 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment